Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Another Work of Art

I have chosen three works of art related to Flarf poetry. I am going to spend the bulk of my time on the first, but I left the other two because I thought they were worthy examples.

#1. The Andy Milonakis Show (With Special Guest Appearance by Hilary Duff)





I love this show. And I think that I now know why. This particular clip opens very campily- with upbeat music and the HOLLYWOOD sign in the background. (After, of course, "Andy Moves to L.A is scribed across the screen in very elementary writing. They purposefully made it look DIY-esque. They spend money to look cheap, almost.) Initially, you think that Herbie is a real person, and maybe Andy is moving in with this Herby character. When the door opens you see Hilary Duff (of which I was wholly surprised to see. Look at her website and try to tell me that you wouldn't be surprised to see her there (if you didn't know who she was before this.)) I do not think this is an attack against Hilary. If she was not actually appearing in the clip, and they used a look a like, or something like that, then I would say it was. But I totally think that Hilary was, in a way, making fun of herself. And I really liked that. Anyway, it develops a sort of soap opera feel. And then you see that Hilary is giving a massage to a turtle. And talking in a fake language to Herb. However, Hilary's performance is completely confident. That's what allows the Flarf to have something to rely on. The flarf elements are showcased by Hilary's rock solid confidence. Again, I'm still shocked that Hilary chose the Andy Milonakis Show as one of her endeavours. Happy. But shocked.


Next, notice the quick shot of hairy hands. Brilliant touch, in my opinion. The camera is towards Hilary, then quickly goes down to a close up oh hairy hands, then straight back up to Hilary's face. This draws similarities to various shouts that can be seen in flarf poems. There are various kitsch elements in the house- fake flowers, corny wall art, etc. Hilary, however, looks rather polished and unfitting for her surroundings.


Andy enters, claiming that he is Herbie's best friend. Hilary states that she is going to change, while Andy brings things to redecorate- "nice up the place"- dinosaurs, toy babies, etc. Hilary reenters with a turtle shell on. Enough said.


Andy claims he is going to go check out the new neighborhood, while Hilary tells Andy that Herbie is a trashy name for a turtle. Hilary begins to feel alone, and tells Herb that Andy has to go. Andy tells Herb that he has been listening to everything through a glass, and that he knows it is his fault.


CUE: Large man named Ralphie popping out of a suitcase in an orange shirt, muttering some nearly undecipherable words.


Hilary reenters the house wearing the turtle shell as though it is normal day wear. Andy and Ralphie are eating, and Hilary is not very happy about this. RALPIE BRINGS PRESENTS, though! The usual old lady and creepy old men make their appearances. They are the shticks of the show. Hilary is flattered. Aint' enuff, tho! In a moment of heroic glory, the Herb(ie) stands up for himself and HILARY IS GONE!

Some others may not think this is very flarfy. I realize there's not really a Google or Internet element or anything, but the seriousness of Hilary, and the craziness and absurdness of everything around her really seems like a flarf poem to me. Things pop out of nowhere, literally. Things don't make sense. Things aren't overly symbolic. There are peanut butter slaps. Slang is used like it is normal, even though it sounds rather awkward in situations.

Peanut Butter Slap.


***
The other two examples I have are in the form of sculptures/art, and a music piece.
#2. Jim Lambie's Untitled Installation at MFA. See Greg Cook's Post on the link provided.



***


Anddd # 3. This is probably the least Flarfy of the three, but I think it does have some flarf elements in it. It is unexpected and surprising, and somewhat vulgar and obscene at points. I'm not claiming that this is Flarf. I am claiming that it is Flarfy. It's my favorite mash up by GirlTalk, a mash up artist. Everything within the song is from other songs.

Peanut Butter Slap, and I'm out.

No comments: